Home of the Duke of Sutherland, who was not widely liked by his fellow Scots for inflicting harsh clearance policy on them; Dunrobin Castle provides an opportunity to see how the aristocracy lived. The fairytale castle is open to the public and the rooms made available on the tour route are interesting and beautifully presented. The formal gardens spread below the castle and down to the shoreline.
The exciting new Culloden Battlefield visitor centre and exhibition opened in December 2007.Participate in daily Living History presentations which bring the battle to life. Make use of the centre’s modern, environmentally friendly facilities. Enjoy the restaurant with a range of dishes to suit all. Purchase a Culloden branded memento from the enhanced range of gifts available at the shop, to remind you of your visit. Book the dedicated facilities for education meetings, research, presentations, seminars, product launches and functions.
The eighth-century Pictish cross-slab at Nigg is one of Scotland’s greatest art treasures. Admired and studied by scholars all over the world, its ornamental cross resembles a manuscript page. The fantastic intricacy of the carving, the whirlpools of spirals, and the heaped up knot of snakes, with tails and tongues endlessly intertwining, is only paralleled in the illuminations of the great Gospel-Book of Kells, made at the island monastery of Iona.
This handsome Pictish cross-slab has crosses on both sides. Below one is the beautifully carved figure of a man on horseback.
Located in the centre of the town, Dornoch’s cathedral dates from the early thirteenth century. It was founded by the Bishop of Caithness, Gilbert de Moravia, in 1224. The first service was held in 1239 but it would be another few years before the construction of the tower and transepts was completed. Bishop Gilbert died in 1245 and because he had been funding the construction himself it could have taken the town many decades or even centuries to raise the money necessary to build the nave and complete the project. Some time after his death Bishop Gilbert was canonised and became Saint Gilbert.